Sunday, March 19, 2017

ELA Update 3/19/2017

Hello!

I apologize for taking so long to update the blog. As you probably know, the marking period ends this Friday. I am working on updating grades. Students have had an essay/project due each Friday for the past three weeks. They have one final piece of writing for this unit, an author's craft essay/fan fiction piece. This final piece will go on marking period 4.

Any missing work needs to be turned in ASAP. The same goes for quiz make-ups/re-dos. I would urge you/your student to go online and make sure if they did a re-take, that their grade was changed. It is difficult to know who retakes quizzes unless they tell me at in class since the quizzes are online.

The final reading log of this marking period will be due tomorrow.

Also, you may want to know that students are no longer able to use their vocabulary notes when taking the vocabulary quizzes. This started with the last quiz. I would encourage students to study their vocabulary at home by making flashcards or being quizzed by a family member or friend. The average on the quiz didn't really change by taking their notes away--I think most kids are retaining their vocabulary words pretty well!

Another change is regarding the articles of the week. Students now complete the articles of the week on Commonlit.org. I would ask your child to go online and show you what they have completed. All students should have TWO assignments submitted on the website. They can log in with their school google accounts. Each assignment is worth 30-40 points each.

I wanted to show you some of the work students have produced within this unit, in particular, their research infographics. I decided to have them make research infographics instead of writing another essay last week. The results were generally phenomenal! I am very impressed with the students' ability to pull out interesting/relevant topics related to their personal reading book.

Again, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions, comments, or concerns.
Have a great day!
-Ms. Bryan


 

No comments:

Post a Comment